5 Benefits of Hot Lemon Water
meet Your new favorite drink – hot lemon water
Well, well, well – you want to know more about the benefits of my favorite morning beverage?
I’m so glad you asked! Hot Lemon Water is my absolute favorite drink to integrate in my morning routine, and it may even replace your need for coffee. I know that sounds blasphemous to say – but truly when I have my hot lemon water in the morning it replaces the habit of having to have a hot caffeinated drink with something that is better for me (without the midday crash). And you may find it’s the same for you!
But other than just breaking a black coffee fix in the morning – hot lemon water has numerous other benefits. Here’s a few:
While lemons taste acidic, lemon is actually a good source of an alkaline food that can help balance the pH of your body.
Since lemons are chock-full of Vitamin C, they’re the perfect immune booster and can help to ease a sore throat.
Vitamin C also protects against free radicals, repairs your cells, and aids in the repair of your skin by stimulating collagen production (say hello to clear, wrinkle-free, glowing skin! Seriously I noticed SUCH a big difference in my skin after drinking lemon water consistently.) Through its antioxidant properties, it also reduces inflammation.
Is this one too obvious? Adding a little bit of extra water first thing in the morning puts you on the right track for your daily water intake!
Ready to give it a try? Juice one-half of a lemon and add to about 8 oz of hot water. That’s it!
Reuse the lemon peel:
- Add lemon peels to the hot water or even to tea!
- Made Candied Lemon Peels like the ones featured here on All Recipes
- Add lemon zest to your dishes like baked goods, salads, or cocktails.
- Make All-Purpose Cleaner: Fill a jar with lemon peels and top off with white vinegar. Let it sit for a few weeks, remove peels (compost!), and add to equal parts water.
- Put a few lemon peels in your fridge to absorb odors.
- Spice it up! If you’re feeling like you need something extra – consider adding a bit of ginger or local honey to your hot lemon water.
- If you’re adding ginger, just take a knob, peel, and add to boiling water for about 2-3 minutes. The water will start to turn a deep yellowish color. Then add your lemon juice and enjoy!
- Drink 30 minutes before your breakfast.
- Don’t brush your teeth after drinking lemon water as it can erode your enamel.
- Drinking hot beverages can also soften your tooth enamel, so make sure you’re drinking with a reusable straw to help it bypass your teeth.
Check Out These Related Posts
Let’s talk about sunscreen! I’ve always hated sunscreen. I remember when I was younger my mom made me wear a large...
We all have hair, and most of us trim, wax, pluck, pull, or cut it to make it manageable. This means that we all have...
I’m so thankful you’re here learning how to compost!! I am truly amazed by compost - as my house of two composted into...